F&F Forums

Find answers, ask questions, share resources, and connect with our community.
Think we need a new forum? Click here to create a new one.

Home Forums Book Club The Yellow Wallpaper Reply To: The Yellow Wallpaper

• KC Claud

September 29, 2022 at 10:33 am

Wow- so just read it and y’all weren’t kidding! This was definitely wild- I know it was back in the 1880 but still how insulting/belittling it must have been to keep being told that nothings really wrong. At the same time I don’t think it’s all that unusual for it’s time. They played such mind games back then. I love the book, the secret garden which this short story reminds me of.

I hate that though that relationship’s were so one-sided. It’s as if he married someone and didn’t actually know her. She had so much more to give. I understand why it’s considered a “feminist” book- but why is it that you can’t be both? An intelligent domestic woman- I do think the husband loved her but I don’t think he actually knew her. He doesn’t actually listen to her, he doesn’t spend any time with her- she was just expected to keep up a good reputation as the physician’s housewife. I don’t think it’s suspicious that he acted that way because back then if you had something to be embarrassed about you swept it under the rug. Others might have thought it suspicious but it would have been so wrong to confront it. I’m so grateful to be married to my best friend. Im not always right but thank goodness I can talk to him about anything, discuss sensitive topics and work out challenging concepts etc.

… so how she ended it… what do you think about that? Can’t trap me back in the wallpaper … dun dun dun